by Sudha Mathew
Munnar is a small town and a beautiful hill station situated at the southwestern part of Kerala, India. The name Munnar is believed to mean “three rivers”, referring to the three rivers – the Madhurapuzha, Nallathanni and Kundaly rivers, flowing through the land, and joining together a few miles down. The way to Munnar boasts of many scenic waterfalls, and tea plantations; nature loving photographers are well advised to get their camera ready. Temperature ranges from around 5°C – 25°C in winter and 15°C – 25°C in summer. Tourists are advised to take warm clothing and rain clothing.
5 Things To Do in Munnar:
1. Rock Climbing and Rappelling: If you are the adventurous and thrill seeking type you must try out Rock climbing and Rappelling. The beautiful countryside and hills of Munnar provide the ideal setting for these adventurous activities. Munnar is surrounded by hilly regions, and some of them have steep rock faces about 30 metres high. You can acquire the services of professional rock climbers to guide you through the activity.
2. Trekking: The beautiful scenery, lush green cover and pleasant climate are the perfect combination for going trekking around Munnar. If you visit Munnar, you should definitely trek around Anamudi, Rajamalai, Atukkad, Meesapulimala, Kundala and Devikulam trekking sites. The trekking terrain would be mostly hills and rivers. Nature loving photographers are well advised to take their cameras to capture the beautiful scenic view in and around Munnar. There are many professional services in Munnar to guide you through the activity. Many hotels and resorts also organize trekking expeditions for guests.
3. Boating: For the romantically inclined, the three rivers of Munnar, the Madhurapuzha, Nallathanni and Kundaly provide you the perfect place for a romantic time. There are many places in and around Munnar that provide boating facilities, from the pedals boat to speed boats to Kashmiri-Shikara. The Kashmiri Shikara boat is a must do and should not be missed. The area has no lack of water bodies, from slow flowing rivers to lakes with dams built across.
4. Elephant Safari: Elephants have been part of the Munnar area for a long time. To get a royal tour of the Munnar area, you must definitely go for an elephant Safari at Munnar Carmelagiri Elephant Park (Munnar Elephant Safari), Mattupetty Road. The elephant safari will take you through the misty forests, deep valleys and the rugged hill paths of the Munnar forests. The park will provide one hour package, half day and one day tours. In addition to the Safari, you can also witness elephant bath, elephant shower, elephant feeding, timber dragging demonstrations and displays of elephant commands and communication used by their mahouts.
5. Idyllic cycling: Munnar boasts of many tourist spots which you can’t cover by foot alone. The beauty is lost again if you whiz through in a car. Instead, you should take a bicycle either from your hotel or in town and experience the natural beauty of Munnar by riding through beautiful paths of Munnar. Make a visit to the surrounding tea estates, like Madupatty, around 14 km from Munnar, explore the local town, visit the old colonial churches, and absorb the beauty and culture of the small town.
Munnar provides you ample opportunities to enjoy the captivating hill station. Just one word of caution - use Sunscreen while outdoors during daytime because the high altitudes in warm weather may cause sun burn. Hill stations also tend to get dark rather early, so be sure to carry a torch or flashlight. Enjoy!
Wondering how to plan your outdoor holiday in Munnar? We have three lovely boutique hotels in Munnar and we can plan a customised holiday in Munnar just for you.
Practical Info: How to reach Munnar
By Air and road: Nearest Airport is the Kochi International Aiport, Munnar is a 3 and half hours drive from Kochi.
By Train and road: Aluva is the nearest railway station to Munnar, Aluva is about 100 kms of mostly hill driving at 35 km per hour..
Weather information: http://www.accuweather.com/en/in/munnar/204212/weather-forecast/204212
Munnar , The Hindu
Feature Image, Keralagreenry.org